The Nickelodeon Network encourages everyone, kids & families especially, to turn off the television and join those from across the United States and countries including Germany, France, India, The Netherlands and Tanzania to celebrate A Worldwide Day of Play on Saturday, September 24th.
Remember the days before cable television, when Atari first came out and there were only 3 games (including pong) and children spent most of the late afternoon and early evening, not in front of a computer, gaming system, or with some type of electronic device, but outside playing hopscotch, jump rope, or riding bikes? Well, on Saturday, September 24th, Nickelodeon Networks, along with First Lady Obama’s “Let’s Move! Campaign”, the Presidents Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition and over 50 partner organizations (including NFL Play 60, the ASPCA, the Boys and Girls Club of America, Special Olympics and Major League Baseball) have teamed together for the 8th Annual Worldwide Day of Play (WWDOP) celebration on the Ellipse of the National Mall.
“Worldwide Day of Play is the biggest celebration of active play in our history,” said Cyma Zarghami, President of Nickelodeon Networks. “The First Lady’s leadership in elevating the importance of kids and families living healthier and more active lifestyles is a passion we share, and we are incredibly excited to be bringing our entire roster of talent to Washington to promote that message.” Some of Nickelodeon’s most popular stars from iCarly, Victorious, True Jackson VP, Supah Ninjas and Bucket & Skinner Epic Adventures; performances by Big Time Rush and the Fresh Beat Band; Nickelodeon favorites such as SpongeBob SquarePants and Dora the Explorer; and superstar athletes including Dwayne Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Damien Woody, Terrell Owens and Abby Wambach will participate in activities and events, as a part of the networks ongoing commitment to advancing awareness of healthy and active lifestyles.
WWDOP kicks off at 10 am and activities will include baseball, soccer, dance, lacrosse, cheerleading, martial arts and entertainment; along with activities and tips for how to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle. From 12 pm to 3 pm (EST), Nickelodeon’s networks will go off the air and websites will go off line, as the network encourages viewers nationwide to make this a national day of play. There are over 4,000 confirmed local WWDOP events taking place in all 50 states across the United States, Germany, France, India, Tanzania, Ireland, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Scotland and Sweden and as a part of the WWDOP weekend activities, Victoria Justice and the cast of Nickelodeon’s Victorious will pay a special visit to the Duke Ellington School for the Performing Arts High School in Washington, DC on Friday, September 23rd . Ellington students will enjoy a short performance by the cast, followed by a Question & Answer session and signing with the Victorious cast.
Worldwide Day of Play is a part of Nickelodeon’s “The Big Help” campaign – a campaign that aims to inspire a kid-led movement for positive change by focusing on 4 key issues: health and wellness; the environment, education and community service. In the past 7 years, over 2 million kids have pledged to lead a healthier lifestyle.
The 8th Annual WWDOP will include appearances by:
- The Cast of Victorious: Victoria Justice, Daniella Monet, Elizabeth Gillies, Ariana Grande, Avan Jogia, Leon Thomas III and Matt Bennett;
- The Cast of iCarly: Jennette McCurdy, Nathan Kress, Noah Munck and Jerry Trainor;
- Keke Palmer, star of True Jackson, VP;
- The cast of Supah Ninjas (Ryan Potter, Gracie Dzienny and Carlos Knight);
- The cast of Bucket & Skinner’s Epic Adventures (Taylor Gray, Dillon Lane and Ashley Argota);
- Musical performances by Kendall Schmidt, James Maslow, Carlos Pena and Logan Henderson – known as the pop band Big Time Rush & the Fresh Beat Band;
- Professional athletes including Carmelo Anthony (New York Knicks), LeBron James (Miami Heat), Terrell Owens (NFL Veteran and TV Personality), Chris Paul (New Orleans Hornets), Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat), Abby Wambach (Olympic Gold Medalist, Professional Soccer star magicJacks) and Damien Woody (NFL Veteran, ESPN NFL Analyst);
- and Nickelodeon favorites – SpongeBob SquarePants, Dora the Explorer and more.
For more information, go to World Wide Day of Play for specific information about the location, schedules and how to create your own local WWDOP. Follow the WWDOP on twitter @NickDayofPlay for real time updates or via Nickelodeon’s Mobile Site.
Nickelodeon’s Worldwide Day of Play
Saturday, September 24th :: 10 am to 4 pm
The Ellipse on the National Mall – 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue