Lasagna is one of the best Italian dishes to prepare for the family. Many only choose to prepare this dish at holiday time because it is so time consuming. If it was easy more of us would enjoy this alternative way more often throughout the year. There is a way of preparing lasagna quick and easy by rolling the noodles into individual servings. Some ingredients can come straight off the grocer’s shelves and others are standard staples already stored in the refrigerator. Let make a pasta lover’s delight by preparing rolled lasagna the quick and easy way.
- 1 box of lasagna noodles
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 (26 ounce) jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) container of ricotta cheese
- 1 ¼ cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¼ cup of grated cheese
- ½ cup of chopped onion
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced fine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly coat a baking tray with cooking spray.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to the directions on the package.
- Once the noodles are cooked, drain them and place them flat on a piece of waxed paper.
- In the meantime sauté using a medium heat setting; the garlic, onion and ground beef in a large frying pan until the meat is brown and crumbly and the garlic and onions are translucent.
- In a mixing bowl combine the ricotta cheese and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese together.
- Once the meat is cooked thoroughly add the pasta sauce and bring to a boil and keep the heat setting at medium the whole time.
- Allow sauce to remain at a boil for 3 – 5 minutes. Place a lid on an angle over the pot top to prevent the sauce from splashing up.
- Preheat oven to 350’.
- Mix ½ of the meat and sauce mixture in with the cheese mixture and stir in gently.
- Add by tablespoonfuls the meat and cheese mixture to the lasagna noodles and spread it out as thin or as thick as you prefer.
- Grab one end and fold it over about an inch and roll the noodle with its filling up completely to form the lasagna roll.
- Place the lasagna rolls seam side down into the baking sheet.
- Pour ½ of the remaining meat sauce over the lasagna rolls.
- Sprinkle the rolls with grated cheese and place tray in oven.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes and remove tray from oven.
- Transfer the rolled lasagna onto a serving platter or serve out of the baking pan if you prefer.
- Sprinkle the tops of the lasagna rolls with the remaining shredded mozzarella and let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve while hot.
- What to add some vegetables to these rolls just add 2 cups of chopped fresh spinach leaves to the meat mixture when the meat is nearly cooked through. The spinach just has to soften and warm to reduce nicely.
- Use ground turkey during Thanksgiving time instead of ground beef for a whole new dish and flavor.
- Serve with bread sticks, garlic bread, a small lettuce salad or spinach salad to complete the meal.
- Sides of sauté green beans, asparagus or broccoli also make delicious accompaniments to these lasagna rolls.
A great place to obtain all the ingredients to prepare these lasagna rolls for your family in Winona, MS is at the SuperValu.
Copyright 2011 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
More from this author:
An array of fun, crafty and education topics, stories and articles are available from the Winona Home and Living Examiner. Local events and interesting facts, tips and holiday information is also available for your reading pleasure.
The Healthy Living Examiner will provide information on the healthy benefits of foods as well as discuss health issues, diseases and medical conditions. Also provide recall information, tips and tricks for a healthier lifestyle.
If you are looking for easy to follow, step-by-step recipes the Winona Cooking Examiner may just have that recipe you have been longing for.
To receive spam free alerts to any of these publications just click the subscribe buttons found at the top of the page. You can also follow me on Twitter, Facebook or Digg!