From 1:00 to 3:00 PM on Saturday, October 29th, plan on taking your poochie pal to a Spooky Pooch Parade at the Chicago Botanic Garden and the Cook County Forest Preserve District. If you would like to attend this event, it will cost members $14 in advance and non-members $17 in advance. Each dog will require one ticket. The advanced tickets are only available before 11:59 PM on Friday, October 28th. If you are unable to purchase your ticket in advance, they will be available on the date of the event for $20 per dog for every dog, whether a member or a non-member.
There will also be a $20 parking fee for non-members. Of course there will be no parking fee for the Garden members. All parade spectators will pay for parking only thus supporting the Gardens.
This type of event is a rarity for the Botanical Gardens because ordinarily dogs are not allowed in, but for these two special hours this weekend they are not only invited but welcomed in but must leave the Gardens by 4:00 PM at the latest and be leashed at all times. The dogs with the smartest costumes will be invited to march the parade route to celebrate Halloween while the spectators are invited to line the parade route and watch all of the parade goers.
Besides the parade, other activities include:
- a costume contest
- costume judging
- awards ceremony
Costume categories include:
- Best Overall Costume
- Best Dog/Owner Costume
- Best Puppy in Costume (for dogs one year or younger in people years)
- Best Senior in Costume (dogs 10 years or older in people years)
- Best Horticultural Interpretation
Vendors and nonprofit organizations will display a host of goods from the local pet supply shops while sharing information and selling dog-related goods.
SCHEDULE FOR THE DAY
- 1:00 – 1:30 PM Registration
- 1:30 – 2:00 PM Costume Judging
- 2:00 – 2:30 PM Parade and judging
- 2:30 – 3:00 PM Award Ceremony
All Prize Winners will receive the following goods and prizes:
- One year subscription to FIDO Friendly magazine
- A $50 gift certificate to Carriage Hill Kennels
- A $5 gift certificate to Sugar’s Paw House
- A gift certificate for one 20-pound bag of Pet Chef dog food from Northshore Pet Chef
- Sutton Studios photography package, including the following:
- A weekday portrait sitting for up to two people and two pets
- An 11″ x 11″ signed exhibition print
- A $50 framing voucher
- A Planet Dog hat
- A Planet Dog leashes
- Fun colored tennis balls
- Dogswell sample treats
Dogs and Owners that purchase a ticket to this event must be in agreement and follow the RULES AND REGULATIONS listed below:
- Dogs and owners must comply with the rules and restrictions of the Chicago Botanic Garden and the Cook County Forest Preserve District.
- Dogs and owners will assume the full risk of any and all injuries, damage and loss, regardless of severity, that may be sustained as a result of their participation in this event; to waive and relinquish, to fully release and forever discharge, all claims against the Chicago Botanic Garden and/or Cook County Forest Preserve District as a result of participating in this event.
- Agree to removal from the premises and/or the event without recourse if asked to by the Chicago Botanic Garden staff, Cook County Forest Preserve District or other policing body.
- Allow the Chicago Botanic Garden, its designated agents, assigns and anyone publishing under its authority to create, reproduce and distribute any images of you or your dog’s participation in the Spooky Pooch Parade event.
- Guarantee that all dogs onsite must be current with appropriate shots and registrations.
- This event is held whether rain or shine and no refunds will be given based on weather.
All tickets to this event are nonrefundable. Since this event is so very popular, it would be best to purchase your tickets in advance. Once you pre-purchase your ticket(s), a confirmation will arrive in your email. All tickets are on a first-come, first-serve basis because space at the Botanical Gardens is limited. If you do not have access to email, you can pre-purchase your ticket right at the Garden’s Information Desk at the Visitor’s Center.
If you have any further questions do not hesitate to call 847.835.5440. Remember that all sales are final and that there is no cash value added.