A who’s who of impact freshmen were named to this year’s Wayman Tisdale Award list, including two players considered to be in the early running to be the No. 1 overall draft choice in the 2012 NBA Draft.
An annual award given to the top freshman player in college basketball, this year’s Wayman Tisdale watch list includes some of the highly touted players in the 2011 recruiting class and a number of prospects that have scouts and general managers alike salivating over the potential 2012 draft class.
Of those selected to this year’s watch list, none stand out as prominently as Kentucky Wildcats freshman forward Anthony Davis and Connecticut Huskies forward-center Andre Drummond.
Considered for much of the summer as the early favorite to the be the No. 1 pick in 2012, the 6-foot-10 Davis was one of the most highly sought after recruits in recent memory and will be a focal member of the Wildcats revamped attack in 2011-12.
While it is not a knock against his talent, Davis’ draft stock dipped slightly in August with the announcement that Drummond, a player that was previously slated to spend a year at a college prep school, would attend UConn this season.
Drummond, a 6-foot-10, 270-pound man-child, was the talk of the town in various summer league circuits and has been compared to some of the elite big men that have played at the NBA level, including former Seattle Supersonics forward Shawn Kemp and current Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard.
Beyond the two prized freshmen big men are a talented group of first-year players and potential lottery picks such as Florida’s Bradley Beal, Duke’s Austin Rivers, Memphis’ Adonis Thomas, Arizona’s Josiah Turner and another two Kentucky recruits, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Marquis Teague.
Surprisingly omitted from this year’s watch list are North Carolina’s James Michael McAdoo, Baylor’s Quincy Miller, Texas’ Myck Kabongo and Washington’s Tony Wroten.
Check out the full 2011-12 Wayman Tisdale Award Watch List below.
2011-12 WAYMAN TISDALE AWARD WATCH LIST
- Bradley Beal, Florida (G, 6-3, 207, Fr., St. Louis, Mo.)
- Chane Behanan, Louisville (F, 6-6, 245, Fr., Cincinnati, Ohio)
- Khem Birch, Pittsburgh (F, 6-9, 220, Fr., Montreal, Quebec)
- Anthony Davis, Kentucky (F, 6-10, 220, Fr., Chicago, Ill.)
- Andre Drummond, Connecticut (C, 6-10, 270, Fr., Middletown, Conn.)
- Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kentucky (F, 6-7, 232, Fr., Somerdale, N.J.)
- Le’Bryan Nash, Oklahoma State (G/F, 6-7, 230, Fr., Dallas, Texas)
- Austin Rivers, Duke (G, 6-4, 200, Fr., Winter Park, Fla.)
- Marquis Teague, Kentucky (G, 6-2, 189, Fr., Indianapolis, Ind.)
- Adonis Thomas, Memphis (F/G, 6-6, 222, Fr., Memphis, Tenn.)
- Josiah Turner, Arizona (G, 6-3, 192, Fr., Sacramento, Calif.)
- Cody Zeller, Indiana (F, 6-11, 230, Fr., Washington, Ind.)
Got a take on the NBA Draft? Come join the discussion on Facebook or Twitter.
© 2011 Neal J. Leitereg — All Rights Reserved