Many families have unused books laying around. Other families enjoy buying used books. Once the pleasure of reading them has left, the books can be used for fun projects for free home decor or other crafts.
- Just in time for Halloween is this tabletop decor craft.
- Extra copies of loved books or covers with damaged pages can be turned into a clock easily with an inexpensive clock kit from the craft store.
- In a spare room that works as an office, library, or spare bedroom, this headboard is interesting.
- For a book with a damaged cover but nice pages, turn the pages into envelopes for floral arrangements and handmade cards.
- The ever-popular book purse appears to be a fairly easy DIY project.
- The classic hollowed-out book — for a squirt gun, secret hiding place, etc.
- If you have a damaged tabletop, or need to freshen a tabletop, decoupage with old book pages would be very easy to kids to assist with.
Des Moines has two very large book sales going on right now. One is at the State Fairgrounds and another is at the Jordan Park Campground. Both have free admission and may have clear-out sales on the last day of the event.