Okay so your in a hurry, getting off late from work, busy mom, got unexpected company coming over any second, your feet hurt and you don’t feel like cooking.. right?
This recipe is a wonderful solution to your problem!.. It takes only 15 to 20 minutes to prepare and only 5 minutes or so to cook! That’s right dinner in 30 minutes or less! The cool part about it is, the more you make em’ the easier and faster it becomes as you learn more shortcuts. Want it to be a meal? Purchase a store bought mexican bean salad, chilli con queso and tortilla chips, tortilla chips with salsa or tortilla chips with queso dip. Add a beer or two to the drink list with a side of lime and your set! Or you could do margaritas as a fancy accompaniment to your meal. Whatever floats your boat! Or just do what I sometimes do and just simply make those yummy quesa’s. You could use sliced steak instead or use a combination of chicken and steak. It’s terrific either way.
CHICKEN QUESADILLA INGREDIENTS:
1/4-1/2 c fresh salsa (Giant) -More tomatoes is always good!
1-2 stalks green onion chopped small
9 oz shortcut chicken strips(fully cooked)
1 pack of mini tortilla( whatever you like)
1/4 c fresh cilantro chopped
1/2 bag– 8 oz shredded mexican 4-cheese or your choice(sprinkle more if you like)
Suggestions: Be sure to have sour cream, avocado, or salsa for dipping! Adding Chipotle as shown in the video would also be yummy!
In a sauce pan heat the chicken, green onion, fresh salsa, and the cilantro. The chicken is already cooked so just enough heat to saute the green onion and keep stirring until contents in pan are warm. Instead of frying the queso’s, I bake them in the oven. If you were to fry them, you would fry them like you would a grilled cheese until the cheese melts, turning only once in a greased pan. To cook in the oven.. Grease a casserole dish to put your quesadilla’s in. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. I like to rub oil on both sides of the tortilla’s before filling. If you are concerned about unhealthy grease, use olive oil or coconut oil. Spoon about two generous tablespoons of the chicken mix ionto your tortilla. Spoon twice as much for a larger tortilla. If you wish to use larger tortillas just double the recipe if serving 4 people or triple recipe for 6-8 people. (Note: you may only need 12oz of cheese for the largest serving of 6-8 people, however, this is up to the individual) Before you close it to a half circle, sprinkle some cheese on top or you may mix the cheese in the filling if you know what your doing. You may sprinkle as much as you like. After that, you press down the edges, if the edges won’t stick together you can cook it on 350-450 degrees until the cheese melts and the tortilla is golden brown. Watch oven! It cooks up really fast, check em’ in about 3 to five minutes. After you take it out of oven , cheese should be melted and sticky and if edges are not sealed press down the edges with your fingertips or back of spoon. Don’t forget to serve with a side of sour cream, regular salsa, or guacamole. I like them all on my plate for dipping my Quesadillas!
This recipe is great as a quick snack. or meal. You can also make it low carb/low glycemic by using (Tortilla Factory’s) low carb tortiilas or get healthy whole wheat tortillas! My kids love it, I love it, and my husband loves them.
Tip: Use a pan with a rack so tortillas can cook evenly on both sides and not get soggy on bottom. A grill machine for sandwiches may work best. Be sure to brush olive oil on both sides of the tortilla before cooking. Experiment with different cheeses like gouda, queso fresco, cheddar /monterey jack blends. This recipe is also wonderful with cooked sliced seasoned steak or a combination of chicken and steak. Be sure to chop meat small or slice thin to fit in tortilla better! (I’ve even used spiced shrimp in this recipe in the past). If the queso’s are still missing something, try adding the best white queso dip in a jar from your grocery store and mix a tablespoon or two of it in your quesadilla filling. Please be aware that Queso dip is not good with every quesadilla..Skip the queso on the seafood or veggie ones. Enjoy!
More Quesadilla Ideas.. off the top of my head..Note that these are truly off the top of my head so use as a guide only. Be sure to let me know if they turn out good or not! :) :
1) Try Barbecued shrimp with chopped smoky cooked bacon and thin sliced red onion. Top each with with 1 tbl creamy white queso dip and shredded jack cheese. (use real bacon bits as a shortcut!)
2) Veggie Quesadilla using a frozen mexican bean mix of corn, black beans, etc. (Must defrost and drain). Or instead of frozen, chop up 1/4c fresh cilantro, 1/4c red bell pepper, 1/4c black beans (be sure to use ready to eat canned beans only), 1/4c corn, green onions, basil, parsely, 1/4c tomatoes or use fresh chopped salsa from Giant, and optional garnish: a little avocado sliced very thin with sour cream/salsa. Tip: Marinate chopped veggies before cooking quesadillas in a 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1/3 cup of lime juice, 1 crushed and chopped clove of garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, a teaspoon of cumin, and teaspoon of salt for one hour only. After 1 hour, Drain excess liquid, reserve a couple tablespoons for bean mixture to sit in when making the queso’s. Use monterey jack cheese. Cook quesadillas like a grilled cheese but, use olive oil. Don’t forget to serve with salsa, sour cream or guacamole!
3) Spinach, Mushroom, jalepeno pepper quesadilla. Be sure to drain cooked spinach and mushroom before seasoning and cooking. Use frozen chopped spinach for better results and just thaw and drain. Use equal amounts of chopped spinach and chopped mushroom about 1/2 cup each. 1/4 cup finely chopped jalepeno. Saute’ spinach and mushroom together in a pan using 1/4 cup butter or olive oil. (optional add 2 tablespoons of cream cheese and a teaspoon of parmesan to sauteed spinach and mushroom mixture in pan.Salt to taste. Low heat and stirring will melt cream cheese so it may be blended with veggies. Will make about 2-4 servings maybe even 6. Spoon two to four generous tablespoons onto each tortilla. Top each tortilla with jack cheese or swiss to finish the Quesa’s. Close each tortilla to form a half circle and they are ready to cook!
4) Crabmeat Seafood Quesa: Just 1cup of Crabmeat(Use lump crabmeat,but, any will do), 1/2 cup chopped green onion, 1/4 cup cream cheese,1/4 c mayo, 2 cloves of garlic crushed and chopped very fine, 1 red bell pepper chopped small, 1 tablespoon of old bay or soy sauce. In microwave warm up cream cheese to soften. Place in a medium bowl ( heat about a 30 seconds to a minute or so) and while soft mix cream cheese with mayo, garlic, old bay. Add chopped red bell pepper,green onions and crabmeat to mixture and stir. Will make about 2-4 servings maybe even 6. Spoon two to four generous tablespoons of mixture onto each tortilla. Top each tortilla with Gruyere or jack cheese. Close each tortilla to form a half circle and they are ready to cook!
5) Sliced Apple & Brie Quesadilla/Dessert Burrito. It’s just cooked, sweetened, sliced apples with cinnamon, (use pie filling and sprinkle with cinnamon or make your own pie filling) together with brie (don’t forget to remove the outer rind of the cheese as it is bitter!) Marinate thin slices of red onion in balsamic vinegar for an hour , drain liquid from onions, chop them and set aside. Add marinated onions to apple mixture and top with brie. Brie is already soft so scoop a little with a spoon and place on top of mixture (experiment a little with rosemary, basil,or mint for enhanced flavor) I do suggest folding the ends of tortilla like a chimichanga and deep frying this quesadilla. Let me know if it makes a difference! Remember, Don’t overfill so that you may leave room to close. Check out the video at this address http://youtu.be/jdo-1FJUPuU , to learn how to fold and deep fry this sweet treat!
Another way to do the dessert burrito is to use sweetened sliced berries with brie.