With Halloween right around the corner, people are beginning to think “pumpkins.” Pumpkins are springing up at garden centers all over Lafayette, Louisiana. October is right around the corner, why not pick a few up and use them for your Halloween décor? Below are two recipes using pumpkin, in surprising ways you might not have thought of. One recipe is “figure friendly” and one is not. Both are gluten free. Neither require any cooking.
Spiced Pumpkin Dip
- 1 15 ounce can pureed pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seeds ground up)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Combine all ingredients.
- Stir and serve with gluten free crackers or fresh vegetables.
This recipe was taken out of Dr. Gott’s No Flour No Sugar Diet book.
Pumpkin Pie (double layer)
- 1 ½ cups gluten free cereal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- Crush cereal in plastic zip lock bag with hammer or any hard object.
- Pour on pie plate, add sugar and butter, mix then press down on pie plate.
First filling layer
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 tub 8 oz frozen non-dairy whipped topping thawed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Mix crème cheese, 1 tbsp milk, sugar in large bowl with wire whisk until smooth.
- Gently stir in ½ of whipped topping.
- Spread on bottom of crust.
Second filling layer
- 2 packages of vanilla instant pudding
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 can pumpkin (16 oz)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- Mix 1 cup of milk with pudding mixture.
- Beat with whisk 1 minute. (Will be thick).
- Stir in pumpkin and spices with whisk, mix well.
- Spread over cream cheese layer.
- Refrigerate 4 hours until set.
- Garnish with remaining whipped topping.
- If you would like to receive this article in your email box, click Subscribe link at the top or the Get My Newsletter link at the bottom. If you would like to see more articles by this writer, click here or click the RSS feed button at the bottom. I’m also on Facebook, Digg, Stumbleupon and Twitter. Feel free to share my articles. Email me at [email protected] for suggestions or questions.
©KrisDuBoisBest, All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author or Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a knotmove.com. A link back or a partial story with a link back is permitted.
You might also like:
Organic Homemade Yogurt
The “Best” gluten free muffins
Bibi’s Patisserie – Gluten free/sugar free pastry shop
This or That – Taco Bell or homemade tacos
Krissie’s bread #30 – gluten free