Planet Earth: Special Edition [Blu-Ray]
Studio: BBC Home Video
Release Date: 10/4/2011
Length: 550 mins
Number of Discs: 6
Narrators: David Attenborough
Synopsis: The greatest Blu-ray release of all time just got even better, newly encoded to take advantage of recent innovations in Blu-ray technology and with over seven hours of bonus features for the first time ever!
Planet Earth has been the must-own Blu-ray series since it took the world by storm at the beginning of the high definition era. It garnered uniformly glowing reviews, won four Emmy Awards, including Best Nonfiction Series and Best Cinematography, and nothing made a high definition television look as mind-blowing as Planet Earth on Blu-ray.
But there were no extras on the first Planet Earth Blu-ray. Now, the picture is even more crystal clear and stunning and the collection is packed with extras! From the highest mountains to the deepest oceans, Planet Earth has never looked this incredible.
Prepare to be overwhelmed again by the beauty and majesty of Planet Earth on Special Edition Blu-ray.
• Special Sneak Peek at Executive Producer Alastair Fothergill’s next blockbuster project: Frozen Planet
• Commentary on select episodes
• Greatest Planet Earth Moments – Relive the greatest moments of this revolutionary series and discover how these scenes were captured on film.
• Snow Leopard: Beyond the Myth – The BBC Natural History Unit explores a secret cave deep in the mountains of Pakistan where generations of snow leopards return each year to raise their young.
• Secrets of the Maya Underworld – The freshwater pools that dot Mexico’s Yucatan peninsula were believed by the Mayans to be portals to the underworld. For the first time ever, the BBC Natural History Unit explores this incredible, labyrinthine system of underground rivers.
• Elephant Nomads of the Namib Desert – Follow the struggle for survival of two female elephants trying to raise their young in one of the harshest climates on Earth.
• Music only viewing option
• 110 minutes of behind the scenes footage – one 10-minute behind the scenes production video diary for each episode
• Planet Earth – The Future – This 3-part series looks at what the future may hold for endangered animals, habitats and – ultimately – us.
Review: When a synopsis boasts “the greatest blu-ray release of all time” normally I’d roll my eyes in the general direction of the “Mad Men” types behind it but trust me this isn’t just a lame tag line and as I’ve said in previous reviews of Planet Earth, Life, and all of the wonderful nature documentaries from the BBC/Warner collection these are what high definition was made for. The picture and sound quality is nothing short of mind blowing; it’s quite honestly the perfect set when you want to show off that expensive home theater set up.
While this set is exactly the same so far as the episodes go what makes this a special edition is the added bonus features made for this release as well as the previous DVD features on top of which is a look at the next great series called Frozen Planet which looks to be yet another amazing addition to the catalog.
Now some of you reading this might not be big into nature docs or even documentaries in general but these are not preachy pieces vilifying human pollution instead just focuses on the incredible things that happen in nature every single day normally unseen by human eyes. Give it a chance to wow you and unless you are an unfeeling robot it will.
Since its first airing we’ve probably seen each of these half a dozen times but when this one showed up for review we excitedly went through each disc with renewed enthusiasm once again, very much worth picking up or even picking up again just for the dazzling extras.