This original recipe, Ternera con Tomate, originates in Northern Spain and is a year-round staple in households. It is typically served with toasted country bread for dipping.
Instead of using chunks of beef, we opted for minced meat instead and added additional spices to enhance the flavor even more.
Origin: Northern Spain
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 potato
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cilantro
- ½ tsp marjoram
- Pepper to taste
- Mix the beef with eggs, breadcrumbs and season with pepper.
- Roll meatballs about the size of a baseball and boil in salted water for 10 minutes.
- Set aside and let cool.
- In a large pot bring the beef broth and tomato sauce to a boil and lower heat to a simmer.
- Give the meatballs and tomatoes a rustic cut and add to the mixture together with all the spices.
- Let simmer on low heat for 40 minutes while stirring occasionally.
Serve hot in a bowl or deep plate and use sliced green onion as garnish.
Toasted and crusty artisan or country bread is a perfect condiment for this rustic dish.
Please join us again tomorrow when we prepare pesto pork chops.