A bloody bleeding disorder.
ITP or immune thrombocytopenia is a specific condition that increases platelet damage. Your immune system attacks and destroys its own platelets. Platelet count may be below 50,000 per microliter. A person with ITP is subject to spontaneous bleeding or bruising. Bleeding can occur in different parts of the body and purple patches can be seen on the skin.
National Sport Purple Day is organized by Platelet Disorder Support Association, located at 133 Rollins Ave., Suite 5 Rockville, MD. The organizationis dedicated to enhancing the lives of people through education, advocacy, and research.
Occurrence of the condition.
The disease may be brought about through viral infection in children and adults. But it may occur after taking certain medications or just be a part of an autoimmune disorder. Frequent nose bleeding, cerebral hemorrhage or intestinal blood loss may be consequences of the disorder. There is no cure for ITP.
What are platelets?
Platelets are relatively small, irregularly shaped components of our blood. A normal human platelet count ranges from 150,000 to 450,000 platelets per microliter of blood. Platelets interact with the coagulation factor in a complex way to arrest bleeding or generate thrombi. Blood platelets play a role in hemostasis, thrombosis and a central role in inflammation and atherogenesis.
Awareness: Drug-induced thrombocytopenia
- Abciximab used during and after coronary artery procedures (angioplasty).
- Acetaminophen or Tylenol is a drug used to relieve pain and reduce fever.
- Amrinone or inamrinone used for the short-term management of congestive heart failure.
- Carboplatin, a chemotherapy agent to treat cancers of the ovaries, lungs, head and neck, testes, bladder, brain, and other organs.
- Panobinostat employ for lymphomas (like Hodgkin’s lymphoma), multiple myeloma, acute myeloid leukemia, etc.
- Quinidine, originally derived from the bark of the cinchona tree, is used to treat arrhythmia, an irregular heartbeat.
- Methotrexate, a pill taken for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis.
- Heparin, an anticoagulant that reduce blood clotting. It prevents myocardial infarction, stroke, etc.
- Sodium valproate used for different conditions especially in psychiatry.
- Vancomycin or and Linezolid are antibiotics.
Several hundred drugs have been reported to cause blood abnormalities.
- Database may be found at
Page 1 of 2
The above text is strictly for educational purpose only. Visit a healthcare professional for more information.