From LA, to NY, shoplifting in America has become an epidemic. With the economy at an all time low, we are seeing more and more theft and shoplifting at almost every level in the United States. Below, we have compiled a list of some of the most common items stolen from stores across the country.
1. Meat and Poultry. Who knew? You guessed it; meat is the number one shoplifted item in America. They tend to steal high end items such as filet mignon, lamb and rib-eye steaks. Grocery stores now have to put sensors under the meat packaging to catch shoplifters in the act.
2. Razors. Yep, we all want that clean close shave. Razors are very expensive. They are also very small and easy to conceal. This is why they are such a target for thieves. Most thief’s target Gillette products such as the Mach IV razor. I guess it’s safe to assume its men that are taking these items, but there is no data to confirm that theory.
3. Baby formula. As the saying goes, “baby needs shoes”, but in this case it’s, “baby needs food”. Who would have figured shoplifters are after baby formula as a high ticket item. Most families spend about 10k a year per child on formula, so it’s no wonder it on the top of the list of high trafficked items for thieves.
4. Make-up. Yes, I just said make-up is one of the top items most stolen at department stores. Why you might ask? For starters, make up is very expensive. Just go by your local Bobby Brown counter at Nordstrom and you’ll see what we are talking about.
5. Alcohol. Yes, Alcohol is often one of thief’s most prized possessions. Particularly for minors looking to get drunk at their next party. The good news is that most minors who get caught will ultimately end up having to take minor in possession classes as a result of their crime.
6. Laptop computer come in as yet another popular item for shoplifters and thieves. These items are commonly taken because they are so easily resold. It is estimated that over 100k laptops are stolen each year from big box department stores.
7. Over the counter medication. Yep, items like Tylenol, Motrin, and Sudafed are all resold on the black market. Again, these small items are easy to conceal and walk out of a store with so shoplifters can do it with ease.
Shoplifting and stealing is a huge problem in America. Fortunately most police departments and probation departments are looking to educate small time thieves in theft education classes. The most popular programs being a standard 4 hour theft class online.