Beatles and music-related events on Oct. 18:
- Oct. 18, 1957: Paul McCartney makes his debut with The Quarry Men at New Clubmoor Hall, Norris Green, Liverpool. (See our article about efforts to save the club.)
- Oct. 18, 1926: Chuck Berry born.
- Oct. 18, 1961: Cavern Club.
- Oct. 18, 1963: Taping “Scene at 6:30” with “She Loves You.”
- Oct. 18, 1964: The Animals begin their first tour as headliners at the ABC Manchester. Also on the bill: Carl Perkins, Gene Vincent and the Nashville Teens.
- Oct. 18, 1964: The Beatles record “I Feel Fine,” “Eight Days a Week’, “Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey,” “Mr. Moonlight,” “I’ll Follow the Sun,” “Everybody’s Trying to Be My Baby,” “Rock and Roll Music” and “Words of Love.”
- Oct. 18, 1966: The Jimi Hendrix Experience play their first gig as a band.
- Oct. 18, 1967: The Bee Gees top the UK charts with “Massachusetts.”
- Oct. 18, 1967: “How I Won the War” with John Lennon premieres in 1967 in London. The Beatles attend.
- Oct. 18, 1968: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are arrested and charged with obstruction after cannabis is found at their apartment.
- Oct. 18, 1977: “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” is honored as Best British Pop Album by BPI.
- Oct. 18, 1979: “Beatlemania” opens in London.
- Oct. 18, 2005: A photo of a naked John Lennon taken by Annie Leibovitz on the day he was killed and used on Rolling Stone is named the top US magazine cover of the past 40 years.
“Some Days in the Beatles lives” is a regular feature of Beatles Examiner. Let us know what you like or don’t about it.
Stan is the author of the Beatles Examiner, Paul McCartney Examiner, Vintage Rock ‘n’ Roll Examiner and TV on DVD Examiner columns on knotmove.com.
- Be sure to subscribe to this column by clicking the button at the top of the page.
- Your feedback and ideas are always welcome. Contact us at email@example.com.
- See the Beatles Examiner columns: http://knotmove.com/beatles-in-national/steve-marinucci
- Please join us on Twitter: @stevemarinucci and @beatlesexaminer (RT’s are much appreciated!)
- We’re also on Google+
- Search for us on Bing: http://tinyurl.com/3pukbd5 or Google: http://tinyurl.com/3m4k998
- Add us as a friend on our Beatles Examiner page on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beatles-Examiner/372042379525
- And if you like this article, please share this article on StumbleUpon, Digg, Twitter, or Facebook!