Beatles and music-related events on Sept. 28:
- Sept. 28, 1968: Mary Hopkin’s “Those Were the Days,” produced by Paul McCartney, reaches No. 1 in the U.S. and stays there for six weeks. The song itself was Russian in origin with English lyrics written by Gene Raskin. Masterfully sung by Mary Hopkin with great production by McCartney, this was and still is a fantastic record. You can see and hear Mary Hopkin sing the song at the left. (And read an interview we did with Mary Hopkin for knotmove.com.)
- Sept. 28, 1902: Ed Sullivan born.
- Sept. 28, 1909: Al Capp, cartoonist who berated John Lennon at a John-Yoko bed-in, born.
- Sept. 28, 1946: Helen Shapiro, who toured with the Beatles supporting her on the bill in 1963, born.
- Sept. 28, 1961: Beatles, Town Hall, Liverpool.
- Sept. 28, 1962: Beatles, Cavern Club; MV Royal Iris, River Mersey.
- Sept. 28, 1967: Overdubs on “Flying”; mixdowns on “I Am the Walrus” and “Magical Mystery Tour.”
- Sept. 28, 1968: “Hey Jude” tops U.S. chart for 9 weeks.
- Sept. 28, 1969: Remake of “Cold Turkey.”
- Sept. 28, 1977: Bing Crosby and David Bowie record the duet “Peace on Earth,” but Crosby dies before it’s released.
- Sept. 28, 1979: Jimmy McCulloch (Wings) dies.
“Some Days in the Beatles lives” is a regular feature of Beatles Examiner. Let us know what you like or don’t about it.
Stan is the author of the Beatles Examiner, Paul McCartney Examiner, Vintage Rock ‘n’ Roll Examiner and TV on DVD Examiner columns on knotmove.com.
- Be sure to subscribe to this column by clicking the button at the top of the page.
- Your feedback and ideas are always welcome. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See the Beatles Examiner columns: http://knotmove.com/beatles-in-national/steve-marinucci
- Please join us on Twitter: @stevemarinucci and @beatlesexaminer (RT’s are much appreciated!)
- We’re also on Google+
- Search for us on Bing: http://tinyurl.com/3pukbd5 or Google: http://tinyurl.com/3m4k998
- Add us as a friend on our Beatles Examiner page on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beatles-Examiner/372042379525
- And if you like this article, please share this article on StumbleUpon, Digg, Twitter, or Facebook!