Beatles, music and other events on Sept. 30:
- Sept. 30, 1978: Robert Stigwood’s “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” movie opens. The film, which had been hyped tremendously, starred the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton, two of the biggest musical acts of the ’70s, and an all-star cast that included George Burns, Aerosmith, Steve Martin and Billy Preston. Beatles producer George Martin was the film’s music director. Despite all this, the film bombed with critics and with audiences.
- Sept. 30, 1935: Freddie King, just nominated for Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame, born.
- Sept. 30, 1942: Frankie Lymon born.
- Sept. 30, 1960: “The Flintstones” premieres on TV.
- Sept. 30, 1962: The Beatles, Cavern Club.
- Sept. 30, 1963: Overdubbing on “Hold Me Tight,” “Money (That’s What I Want”) and “I Wanna Be Your Man” and mono mixing for “All I’ve Got To Do”, “Don’t Bother Me,” “Little Child,” “Hold Me Tight” and “Not a Second Time.”
- Sept. 30, 1964: Work on “Every Little Thing” and “What You’re Doing.”
- Sept. 30, 1965: ABC’s “Shindig!” features Donovan, the Hollies, the Turtles and the Dave Clark Five.
- Sept. 30, 1968: Hunter Davies’ “The Beatles” biography published.
“Some Days in the Beatles lives” is a regular feature of Beatles Examiner. Let us know what you like or don’t about it.
Stan is the author of the Beatles Examiner, Paul McCartney Examiner, Vintage Rock ‘n’ Roll Examiner and TV on DVD Examiner columns on knotmove.com.
- Be sure to subscribe to this column by clicking the button at the top of the page.
- Your feedback and ideas are always welcome. Contact us at [email protected]
- See the Beatles Examiner columns: http://knotmove.com/beatles-in-national/steve-marinucci
- Please join us on Twitter: @stevemarinucci and @beatlesexaminer (RT’s are much appreciated!)
- We’re also on Google+
- Search for us on Bing: http://tinyurl.com/3pukbd5 or Google: http://tinyurl.com/3m4k998
- Add us as a friend on our Beatles Examiner page on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beatles-Examiner/372042379525
- And if you like this article, please share this article on StumbleUpon, Digg, Twitter, or Facebook!