By Kathy M. Newbern and J.S. Fletcher © 2011
There’s still time to see some spectacular color in the beautiful North Carolina mountains, according to our long-time friend Dave Tomsky from Asheville. He writes “There’s still lots of great color at or above the 3000′ level, which means it’s near peak in and around Asheville.”
From the luxury standpoint, we’d suggest one great place for leaf watching, pampering and total relaxation is Blowing Rock’s Westglow Report and Spa voted a very impressive No. 2 in Travel + Leisure Magazine’s World’s Best Awards 2011. Westglow was second on the Top Ten List for Best Destination Spas of the World in the U.S. category.
Nestled in the breathtaking Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, Westglow Resort & Spa is a top-rated luxury destination spa where personal service is an honored tradition.
The elegant Greek Revival mansion, once the home of renowned artist and author Elliott Daingerfield, is a perfect place to find renewal of the mind, body, and soul. The all-inclusive resort offers spa packages customized to create a persaonal spa experience, whether you choose a spa vacation, a weekend getaway or a day retreat.
Here’s the report on our stay at Westglow. This Relais & Chateaux Property also earned these Readers’ Choice Awards from SPAFINDER: Best Boutique Hotel; Best For Romance Best For Hiking; Best For Cuisine.
While there, do not miss dining at Rowland’s. It’s worth the drive from Raleigh just for dinner; it’s just that good. Read our review here.
To further tempt you, here’s the new Fall Menu just out today from Rowland’s, which incorporates the freshest seasonal produce in the High Country in imaginative Autumn-themed dishes.
Fall Menu Starters at Rowland’s
• Sweet Corn Ravioli served with Paddle Fish Caviar, Chive Vinaigrette
• Beef Cheek Timbale with Date, Swiss Chard, Fingerling Potato, Black Truffle
• Spinach Salad with Grilled Vegetable, Orange, Blue Cheese, White Balsamic
• Soup Du Jour
• Prawns served with Tomato, Edamame, Garlic, Butter
• Heirloom Salad with Ricotta Solatta, Balsamic
• House Salad with Apple, Goat Cheese, Sumac Pecans, Sherry Vinaigrette
• Artisan Cheese Plate
Fall Menu Entrees at Rowland’s
• Apple Brandy Short Rib with Spinach, Parsnip, French Horn, Demi
• NY Strip with Asparagus, Cauliflower, Beet, Barolo
• Tandoori Ashley Farms Chicken Breast with Israeli Cous Cous, Raita, Carrot
• North Carolina Red Snapper with Bamboo Rice, Hearts of Palm, Bok Choy, Kiwi, Yuzu
• Grilled Walu with Polenta, Tomato, Leeks, Olive
• This is the one we especially loved: Sea Bass with Black Rice, Bok Choy, Wasabi, Carrot
• And we loved this one too: Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Saffron Potato, Chorizo, Eggplant, Jalapeño Pomegranate
• Finally, there’s Cavatapi Pasta with Caramelized Onions, Fennel, Spinach, Gouda
• or, a Local Vegetable Plate.
If You’re Going: Visit www.westglow.com or call or 800.562.0807. And for updated information on events, activities and all there is to see and do in Blowing Rock, visit www.blowingrock.com or call 877.295.7965. Also, ask about the 2012 Blue Ridge Wine Festival April 11-15, 2012, call 828.295.7851 or visit blueridgewinefestival.com.
If you enjoyed this story, you might also enjoy these:
• Other Stories by Kathy M. Newbern
• Stories by J.S. Fletcher, International Travel Examiner
• Even more international stories and reports from this team
Luxury Travel Examiner Kathy M. Newbern and spouse, J.S. Fletcher, report on luxury destinations, spas and cruising around the globe. They are award-winning members of the Society of American Travel Writers and created YourSpaReport.com and YourNovel.com, their personalized romance novel business.