Power 105.1 fm houses some of NY’s most unique personalities, but none quite like the beautiful Ms Cherry Martinez. From humble beginnings in Boston to now one of the most recognizable voices on urban radio right now. Cherry is not just a host with a show on the radio, her entrepreneurial spirit has her with her own company Code Media, Inc., and recently revealing that she will be working with a liquor company as well. With so much going on for her she found some time in her busy schedule to chop it up with me.
1. How did you get your start in radio?
I interned for WILD in Boston an AM station while I attended Emerson College and had a radio show for the schools station WERS 88.9… from there everything just kind of happened after I graduated.
2. What were some of the obstacles you had when you came up?
My biggest obstacle was my son… and traveling with him. It was difficult to literally go from coast to coast with him. It seemed like all the jobs I was getting were far from my support system in Boston.
3. How do you see women get treated in the industry and what are some of the negatives and positives?
Women get treated unfairly, that’s a given. I just fight through it…and pray a lot!! It’s really all you can do… And stay on top of your game. Skills will move you through the bullsh*t
4.You’ve been in the game for a while, what’s the craziest thing you’ve seen?
Hmmm…. craziest thing I’ve seen.. I’ve seen a lot of crazy things! The craziest hasn’t happened yet! Lol
5. How do you see hip-hop as it stands now?
Its great! It’s evolving! A bunch of genres infused together…. EXCITING:)
6. Who are some of the people you look up to and were your inspiration?
Wendy Williams hands down!
7. What advice can you give a women or anyone who wants to get in radio?
If you want to be on radio, be close to radio. AM, FM, internet, satellite, pirate, college…. don’t be too proud, just get your feet wet so you can learn!
8. What are some of the things you’re working on now?
My show on Power 105.1—its always a work in progress. And my website www.cherryontop.com. I’m also putting a female team together called the “Cherry Girls”
9. What are some of your ultimate goals?
To ultimately have financial freedom
10. What are some of the feedback you’re having on your XXX theme on your show.
People love the Triple XXX Phone Sex!! Its buzzing:) hmm…I wonder why?? Lol
11. Because this is an interview highlighting the different elements of the music industry, as a person in radio how does your role affect the industry?
It affects the industry it because we are the messengers. We can deliver good feedback or bad. As a radio personality we sell music, so we have a say so and an influence on how people receive and perceive the artist and/or music.
Checkout Cherry Martinez on Power 105.1 weekdays from 10am-2pm, and also follow her on twitter @CherryMartinez.