Festivals are such an intrisic part of the summertime experience and East coast festivals are the best. This Saturday, September 14th from 12 noon to 7 pm one of DC’s biggest, fastest growing festivals will take place – The H Street Festival.
In it’s 7th year, the H Street Festival continues to grow bigger and better. Held on H St., NE between 8th and 14th streets, the festival showcases the unique qualities of the vibrant H Street NE Corridor, and with 6 stages, a fashion show, a dog beach, and arts, crafts & food vendors, there will be plenty to experience and see. Suggestion – get there early. With so many activities for attendees to see, do and participate in – festival goers will need the full 7 hours to truly enjoy the diverse features of the festival. Some of the highlighted events and attractions at the festival include:
- Six live performance stages including the 8th Street Stage, Kids Zone Stage, 14th Street Stage, 11th Street Outdoor DJ Stage, Captain Morgan Kostume Karaoke Stage and Little Miss Whiskey’s Indoor Stage with over 30 musical and dance performances
- A Fashion show and the Ink + Ego tattoo competition sponsored by Brittish Ink and Gallery OonH
- The Kids’ Zone featuring activities by Living Classrooms, the Museum of Unnatural History, Guitars Not Guns, and more
- The Adult Games area featuring DC United, DC Rollergirls, Washington Nationals, the Captain Morgan Kostume Karaoke Stage, an officially sanctioned boxing ring and more
- A dog beach sponsored by Metro Mutts and Spot On Training
- Over 20 extended restaurant patios serving the finest foods and craft beers featured in the wide array of H Street restaurants and bars
- A special Green Street exhibit, sponsored by Taurus Development, showcasing the latest and greatest in green living
- A speed chess challenge, Chinese dragon dancers, arts & crafts vendors and an entire fleet of food trucks
- A larger than life Boombox shaped DJ booth featuring some of the hottest DJs on the east coast
As for the stages – the line-up’s can be summed up in one word – Wow! Daniel Mushala is the special host on The 8th Street stage, sponsored by Steuart Investment Co’s 360 Degrees H Street and Stella Artois. The stage features Chuchito Valdés (afro-cuban latin jazz, bebop, danzon, cha-cha-cha, son montuno) as the evening’s headliner artist, and will include performances by Michelle Raymond Band (acoustic pop); the Rio Garage Band (afro brazilian); Black Alley & Phil Ade (go go jazz & hip hop) and more.
The Captain Morgan Kostume Karaoke Stage on 12th Street is sure to please both performers and onlookers. Sign up, dress up and deliver your best karaoke performance to the stage. Bring your own fabulosity or choose from dozens of hats, wigs, props, outfits, and other assorted awesomeness in the kostume kloset. The 14th Street Stage will feature Boombox as the evening’s headliner artist and will include performances by Little Red and the Renegades (Zydeco); The Pocket (Reggae); Suttle Thoughts (Go-Go) and more. The Kids Zone Stage will include a Kids Bop sing along; H Street’s ‘Got Talent’; the Northeast Performing Arts Group; the Atlas Youth Chorus and more.
The Outdoor DJ Stage on 11th Street, presented by Little Miss Whiskey’s Golden Dollar, will feature some of New York’s top DJ’s, including: Krunk Pony; Sammy Needlz; Cosmo Baker (The Rub) and Stretch Armstrong (Plant Music). Little Miss Whiskey’s will also host an Indoor Stage from 12 noon to 2:30 am – inside Little Miss Whiskey’s Golden Dollar (1104 H Street, NE) featuring DJ’s Blake9; DJ Dredd; Stereo Faith; SHARKEY and more. With plenty of music, vendors, and performances – no matter what your age or interest, the H Street Festival will have plenty to do and something for everyone. So bring your friends, kids, family – in fact this year you can even find something to do for your dogs – and this DC Music Events Examiner will see you – on H Street!
For more information about the H Street Festival, you can visit their Website, FB Page, FB Event Page or on Twitter. Twitter hashtags: #HStNE #HStFest.
H Street Festival
Saturday, September 17th : 12 noon to 7 pm
H Street NE – between 8th and 14th Streets