As a household staple for more than 75 years, Windex®, America’s No. 1 Glass Cleaner,(1) has established itself as a go-to cleaning solution trusted by generations for its streak-free shine. Recently declared as an “American ideal” in Fortune Magazine’s 2011 “100 Greatest Things about America,” Windex® has stood the test of time, adapted to changing family needs and lifestyles, and innovated through the years making it an established, iconic American brand.
The journey to becoming America’s most used cleaner(2) started as a tradition. Just as moms have passed down heirlooms, family recipes and beloved traditions from generation to generation, moms have also shared their cleaning tricks and tips – including using Windex® – since the 1930s. To celebrate its 75th birthday, Windex® is looking back through history and inviting families to share their tried and true traditions and shining moments on the brand’s Facebook page.
“The Windex® brand has been a part of the American household for 75 years, which we think creates a nice connection between timeless family traditions with how the brand’s heritage has evolved,” says Kelly Semrau, Senior Vice President – Global Corporate Affairs, Communication and Sustainability. “Few brands have stood the test of time, which is why we want to hear from the families who have helped make the Windex® brand the icon it is today.”
Windex ® Celebrates Online
This fall, Windex® will commemorate the special moments in the lives of American families through its celebration activities online. Windex® has enlisted three moms to spark conversations and inspire new ideas through the brand’s Facebook page, Twitter and their own personal blogs. These moms will encourage others to talk about what traditions are special in their lives – whether it’s a cookout to kick off each summer or an annual trip to the apple orchard in the fall and offer families resources to help bring these traditions to life.
Fans can visit the official Windex® Facebook Page to learn from these mommy bloggers how to make the most out of family traditions, learn about the history of Windex® in America, and even share their shining moments and favorite family traditions. Windex® wants to hear what families love to do year after year.
Windex ® Through the Years
Windex® was introduced during the Great Depression in 1936 as an automobile windshield cleaner, and has expanded its portfolio over the years in response to the needs of families and opportunity for innovation. Currently, the brand offers a suite of products to clean glass, windows, electronics and many other surfaces in the home.
Here is a look back at some momentous occasions in the history of Windex®.
- Windex® The Trendsetter:
- Introduced in the heart of the Great Depression (1936) as an automobile windshield cleaner.
- The first Windex® formula was colored blue for consumer appeal and was packaged in six ounce glass bottles. With Windex® paving the way, blue quickly becomes the standard color choice in the glass cleaner industry.
- New and Improved: In 1965 Windex® changed its formula by boosting its ammonia level and cleaning power.
- New Scents: Windex® Lemon launched in 1985, representing the brand’s first line extension.
- Put Some Windex® On It: In 2002, Windex® has a large supporting role in one of the year’s most popular films, My Big Fat Greek Wedding , in which a character presents Windex® as a solution to any problem.
- Product Innovation: Windex® is the most widely used household cleaner in the U.S.(2) Keeping up with the times, Windex® continues to evolve and add shine to even more surfaces, including: Windex® Outdoor All-in-One Glass Cleaning Tool, Windex® Electronics product line, Windex® Multi-Surface product line.
- A Greener Choice: Windex® Mini – a concentrated refill pouch that uses 90 percent less plastic packaging than a traditional 26 fluid ounce trigger bottle – launched in 2011 aiming to create demand for cleaning concentrates, which save significantly on waste.
- Celebrating 75 Years: To commemorate this exciting milestone, Windex® is selling specially marked bottles of Windex® marking the 75th anniversary starting in October.
More business strategies articles available.