The first Louisville arts institution profile in this series of performing and visual arts for the Louisville community is The Speed Art Museum
The Speed Art Museum was originally known as the J.B. Speed memorial Museum is now colloquially referred to as The Speed by locals, is the oldest, largest and foremost museum of art in Kentucky, located in historic Louisville. The museum was built in 1927.
In addition to the numerous collections of African Art, Ancient Art, Native American Art, American Art, European Art and Contemporary Art, the Speed offers a Youth Apprentice Program (YAO) for high school students 14 and up who are interested in arts and cultural careers. The program exposes teens to a first-hand look inside cultural and arts organization through dialogue, discussion, training, and mentoring in order to build confidence and job skills for those seeking future careers as professional arts staff. The teens are selected based on applications and interviews annually.
The Speed also maintains an award-winning children’s center, the ArtSparks Interactive Family Gallery. Nearly everything in this hands-on environment is green and sustainable. Children interact with play spaces that relate to works in the museum’s collection. The Interactive Gallery aims to foster excitement, shared memories, and confidence in young children within the museum environment.
The Speed events include:
- First Friday Night at the Museum – first Friday of each month
- 100 paintings/100 parties, September 3
- Best of the Collection Tours, September 3
- Blue Star Museums through September 4
- Quilts from Kentucky and Beyond: The Bingham-Miller Family Collection, through September 18
- Kentucky Antiques from the Noe Collection: A Gift to the Commonwealth, through February 5, 2012
- Julian Opie: Selections from the Chellgren Collection, through October 16
- Souvenirs of Europe: An Early Kentucky Artist Collection, through September 30
- Being & Making: Artists Investigating Identity through the fall season
- Unveiling the New Speed: A Model of the Future, through March 11, 2012
The Speed is affordable and inspiring, a Speed membership keeps on giving with an extraordinary year’s worth of free and discounted tickets to must-see exhibitions, concerts, Art Sparks family interactive gallery, subscription to the award winning Member Magazine, boutique discounts, and the late night event that’s all the buzz, Art After Dark.
The next arts profile will introduce the Frazier History Museum.