The second week of auditions on the X Factor USA began in Chicago tonight, with many hopefuls vying for the 5 million dollar prize, a Pepsi commercial, and ultimately the chance for stardom.
But with the good, hopeful singers, always comes the delusional ones too. This week gave us the usual kooky auditions, including a woman who showed up thinking she was trying out to be one of the judges. And confirming what many already knew, the show deemed that these lost souls hailed from a place known as ‘Paula Abdul’s Planet’.
Let’s take a look at the ones who didn’t come from a planet far away, and made an impression on judges, Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, L.A. Reid and Cheryl Cole.
Auditions Part 1:
– Makenna & Brock– These ‘friends’ sang ‘Colder Weather’. L.A. Reid commented that their singing “Just made my day.” With a beautiful sound, it is easy to imagine that this duo will go far in the competition. The real question here though, is if Brock will ever admit his love to Makenna?
– Skyelor– A 16-year-old country singer, this young man felt he had something unique to offer with his voice, as well as being an African American country singer. A couple chords into his audition his music track stopped, and without missing a beat he continued on. This alone impressed the judges, and although his vocals weren’t the greatest the judges felt he had that something to move him further in the competition.
– Josh- A bit sloppy with his appearance, this 31-year-old man shocked the judges with his rendition of ‘At last’. With an amazingly strong voice, and a touch of Joe Cocker thrown in, this audition was the most surprising and entertaining of the night… Even Simon Cowell admitted that he was blown away with it. He is defintely one to watch!
Once again the show headed back to Seattle for more auditions, but this time Nicole Scherzinger replaced Cheryl Cole on the panel of judges.
Auditions Part 2:
– Drew- This 14-year-old girl, like many teens admits openly to the camera’s that she is a huge Justin Beiber fan. So it is not surprising that her song choice is Beiber’s ‘Baby’. What was surprising though is the way this young lady took this song, slowed it down a bit and made it her own. Nicole Scherzinger even admitted that she preferred ‘her version to his’.
– 4 Shore- This quartet from Virginia Beach bravely sang a song that judge L.A. Reid wrote himself. Singing Boys II Men’s ‘End of The Road’, these young men set out to impress Reid and did, as he admitted that “Babyface would be proud, Boys II Men would be proud, and I’m proud”.
– Phillip- Singing ‘Fly me to the moon’, this young crooner shined bright, and in the areas he lacked in singing talent, he clearly made up with charisma. Impressing the judges enough to make it to the next round, he was given a warning from Simon Cowell to work on his singing.
– Tiah- The auditions end on a confusing note as this girl’s A Cappella performance of ‘Impossible’ failed to impress Nicole Scherzinger and Paula Abdul. With Simon Cowell pushing to put the girl with ‘steel in her eyes’ through, the girl judges remain unconvinced until L.A. Reid asks Tiah to sing something else for them. With a stronger attempt at her second song, Nicole concedes to allowing the girl to pass through to the next round.
With tomorrow night’s show being the last in the audition process, it should be interesting to see who makes it into the final part and heads straight for next week’s ‘Boot camp’.
Hey Reno, Nevada! Want to be the next X Factor USA standout? Click Here and get signed up today for some local singing lessons!