One of the most important things you can do as a mother is to teach your children how to be responsible. There are some children that just pick up on how to be responsible from watching others, but you should not rely on your child to be one of those. There are some very simple things you can do it help teach your child responsibility.
1. Chores – not only will this give you on less thing to do, but it is a great start to teaching them accountability. Just remember to assign age appropriate chores. Something as simple as feeding the dog or cat is a great start for those younger children.
2. Independence – If you do everything for them they will never learn that they have to do things for themselves. Give your child options, let them learn from those choices.
3. Read – a lot of stories to your child or children that illustrate responsibility.
4. Talk through difficult situations – you may want to jump in and solve the problems for them, but stop yourself. Instead talk to them about the situation, ask them what they think would be the best way to solve it, before offering your ideas. Guide them to the right solution, don’t just hand it to them.
5. Explain – don’t just tell them to do chores. Explain to them that doing those chores helps the whole family. Let them know that by doing things for themselves is a help to you. Let them see the big picture.