How much do you know about the audible, taller half of Penn & Teller? Here are some little-known facts about Las Vegas magician Penn Jillette:
- In order to demonstrate that he didn’t have “any tricks up his sleeves” – Penn used to arrive onstage for his magical performances, naked.
- Penn was once an on-air announcer for the cable channel Comedy Central.
- In 1974 he was part of a three-person act called the Asparagus Valley Cultural Society. The other two members of the act were Wier Chrisemer and someone that Penn had been introduced to earlier that same year: Teller.
- Penn Jillette appeared as an encyclopedia salesman during one episode of the sitcom F*R*I*E*N*D*S.
- For a short amount of time Penn wrote bi-weekly pieces for Excite.com. He used to link to random websites which had nothing to do with the topics of his column.
- Jillette used to perform juggling and illusions with his former high school classmate Michael Moschen.
- Penn–during a performance on Late Night with David Letterman–after being ridiculed for only doing a “rabbit in the hat” trick, produced hundreds of live cockroaches. Directly on top of David Letterman’s desk.
- Penn Jillette is a graduate from the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Clown College. He graduated from Ringling Brothers the year after graduating from high school.
- Penn is the holder of United States Patent 5920923. The title of the patent is the hydro-therapeutic stimulator.
- Vintage Nudes Studio is the name of Jillette’s private recording studio. The studio is named for the playing cards which Penn collected. The cards are located on a table that is located within the studio. The way in which the cards are arranged hold significant meaning to fellow magicians, but not to anyone else. Vintage Nudes Studio is located inside Penn’s personal residence in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Article continued, below.)
You may see Penn perform in his permanent home at the Rio All-Suite Hotel and Casino.
Venue Contact Information:
Penn & Teller Theater in the Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino.
3700 W. Flamingo Road. Las Vegas, NV 89103
(702) 777-7776 or (888) 746-7784
Did you enjoy this article? You can receive e-mail alerts when new articles are available! Simply click on the “Subscribe” link. Cari Hahn is the National Magic Examiner as well as the Las Vegas Magic Examiner. You may also follow Cari Hahn on Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook. You may reach Cari Hahn at: firstname.lastname@example.org.