Whether it’s sipping apple cider at the Apple Harvest Festival or lounging in an outdoor plunge pool, couples can find a wide range of fun experiences at Blue Mountain, Collingwood, located two hours north of Toronto. Here are some top choices:
1. Outdoors: Situated at the foothills of the Niagara Escarpment, a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve, Blue Mountain is ideally positioned to promote all-season fun. Hiking, caving and skiing are all popular options at Village at Blue Mountain, an upscale Intrawest resort community modeled on turn-of-the-century Ontario cottage country. Blue Mountain Activity Central, is the place to book your adventure. Hike across southern Ontario’s longest suspension footbridge at the Scenic Caves a spectacular natural cave formation atop the Niagara Escarpment. At 300 metres above Georgian Bay, it offers panoramic vistas.
2. Spas: Turn up the heat with a couples massage at Le Scandinave Spa Blue Mountain. Tucked in a quiet forest setting, it capitalizes on the area’s natural beauty. The largest outdoor Nordic bath in Canada, it has three hot baths (including a waterfall), a Norwegian-style indoor steam room, a Finnish sauna and three cold plunge pools (including an icy Nordic waterfall). At the heart of the spa’s philosophy is the belief that a sequence of hot, cold and relaxation periods provides health benefits you can’t get by simply floating in a hot tub. Even better? It’s adults-only.
3. Shopping: Indulge in some fun shopping. Many of the Village’s over 40 shops are one of a kind. Tingle Lingerie and Luxuries (705 445-6768), is a not-to-be-missed shop for couples. Those in search of adult relaxation can stock up on fragrant goodies from candles to cream at L’Occitane en Provence.
4. Food & Drink: For prime people-watching, grab a front-row seat at Copper Blues Bar & Grill strategically located adjacent to the fire pit and village stage where musical entertainers regularly perform. With a sophisticated rustic design, Twist Martini and Wine bar is a hip spot for a pre-dinner drink. For a romantic meal, a hot evening destination is Oliver & Bonacini café-grill where the cuisine is high on style and flavour. For after dinner drinks and plenty of plate-smashing fun, try Tholos, a Greek-Mediterranean resto that offers a candlelit setting and lively atmosphere.
5. Enjoy a Festival: Explore the Apple Pie Trail or enjoy the fall colours at a festival such as the Apple Harvest Festival in October, offering with free live music and activities from Blue Mountain Village to Thornbury & Clarksburg.
Accommodation: Centrally-located Westin Trillium House is perfect for romance with its well-appointed suites with full kitchens and stylish living areas. Cuddle in front of the fireplace or sip hot toddies at the table for two on the balcony with a view of the mountain. Couple’s will also delight in the relaxation provided by the luxurious Heavenly Bath.
Special events, lodging and seasonal updates are available at www.bluemountain.ca or by contacting the Georgian Triangle Tourist Association at 1 888 227-8667 or www.collingwoodthebluemountains.ca.