Happy Hours are an over-40 staple. Luckily, the recession encouraged more restaurants to put more emphasis on creating cocktail hours with style. Gone are the days of the free, over-cooked buffets that sit in waiting for the indiscriminate diner whose main interest is in sopping up the large amount of alcohol they just drank at half-price.
Happy Hours have changed with the times and so much so, they attract more than just the ‘drinking crowd’.
Now, customers are encouraged to visit Happy Hours to sample the fare, enjoy the atmosphere, watch a game, listen to music and more.
Restaurants are finding Happy Hours appeal to a wide demographic, the common denominator being they like going out but want lower prices. The unstable economy evolved into something we love and can afford.
Today’s Happy Hours include all of the juicy elements that appeal to the over-50 crowd.
The Top Five Reasons Boomers love Happy Hours:
- Popular menu items and cocktails/beers/wines are at lower prices (often half off)
- “Convenient” hours suit our growing love for getting home early to catch our favorite tv shows
- Ideal on the nights you feel like going out after work
- Happy Hours that draw an older crowd, are available*, so meeting new people is possible
- You can become a “regular” without being considered an alcoholic
* Side bar: There are several over-40 Happy Hour meet-ups, where you can even go alone and meet some new friends. There’s no longer a stigma for going it alone.
Here is meetup.com club that’s worth joining right away. It offers an ongoing selection of events and Happy Hours. So now you can pick and choose the fun that suits your individual style and geographic location:
We’re about to embark on a Happy Hour bonanza, so you will know where to go and grab your favorite bar stool. If you have suggestions or comments, we are all ears. Our aim is to keep you happy.
NEXT: Review of Vin de Syrah – 901 5th Avenue, San Diego 92101 (Gaslamp)