Princesses, witches and Spider-Man will be seen a lot this Oct. 31. They are the top three costumes for children this Halloween, according to a survey by the National Retail Federation.
About 11% of children plan to be princesses, with another 2.2% specifically wanting to be a Disney princess, the survey said. Princess has been the top costume for seven years.
Superheroes are also popular, with Spider-Man being the most popular with 3.1% of children wanting to be the web-slinger. Batman was the next popular with 2.4% wanting to be the caped crusader. Only 1.3% of children want to be Superman.
Most of the 2011 top ten Halloween costumes for children are available locally, or can be easily made at home.
1. Princess– $25 at Target. $9.99-19.99 at Party City.
2. Witch– $14 at Target. Can also get a broom for $4 and plain hats for $2 at Target. $29.99 at Party City.
3. Spider-Man– $20 at Target, but on sale this week for $19. At Party City, the costume is $19.99, or $29.99 for a deluxe one with “muscles.” Learn how to make at home for less.
4. Pirate– $12.99-$29.99 at Party City. Jack Sparrow specifically is $18.74 at Party City. Eye patches are available for $1.99 at Party City. Learn how to make at home for less.
6. Fairy– Tinkerbell costume at Target is $30, but on sale this week for $28. Can build your own costume with $8 wings, $6 leotard, $8 skirt and $8 wand at Target.
7. Action/Superhero– Most action/superhero costumes at Target are $20, with some on sale for $19 this week. At Party City, superhero costumes are $19.99, or $29.99 for a deluxe one with “muscles.” Learn how to make at home for less.
8. Batman– $19.99, or $29.99 for a deluxe one with “muscles” at Party City. Learn how to make at home for less.
8. Vampire– At Target, boys costume is $20, while girls costume is $25. $16.99 at Party City.
9. Disney Princess– $20-$30 at Target, but on sale this week for $19-28. $19.99 at Party City.
9. Zombies– $25 at Target. $29.99 at Party City.
10. Star Wars characters- At Target, Leia is $30, Obi Wan is $40, Jango is $40, Darth Vader is $25 and generic Jedi with robe is $35. A lightsaber is $8 at Target or $9.99 at Party City. Party City has the basic costumes for Jango and Vader at $19.99, with deluxe versions for $49.99 and $39.99, respectively.
Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available. Just click on the “Subscribe” link above. On Facebook, “like” South Jersey Frugal Family Examiner for updates and reminders.