It’s the first Friday of September and that can only mean one thing, it’s time for Labor Day weekend! From barbeques to the L.A. County Fair, there’s something for everyone this 3-day weekend.
Fun things to do in Los Angeles – Labor Day weekend – September 2-5, 2011
1. Outdoor Cinema Food Fest
Saturday marks the last the day of this summer-long event. Enjoy delicious eats and treats from gourmet food trucks, live music, and an outdoor movie. This weekend’s movie feature is Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
- When: Saturday, September 3; 5:30 PM (doors open), 6:30 PM (band), 8:30 PM (movie)
- Where: Northridge Little League Field—18755 Devonshire Street, Northridge, 91324
- Cost: $10 (ages 12 and older), $5 (kids ages 6-12), Free (kids under 5)
- Info: OutdoorCinemaFoodFest.com
2. L.A. County Fair
This weekend starts the L.A. County Fair. The fair is packed with family fun including The Great White Encounter Exhibit with live sharks, carnival rides, music, and more.
- When: Wednesday-Sunday, September 3-October 2; 10:00 AM-midnight
- Where: The Fairplex in Pomona—1101 W. McKinley Ave., Pomona, 91768
- Cost: $12 (weekday, adults), $17 (weekend, adults), $7 (weekday, kids 6-12), $12 (weekend, kids 6-12), visit website for special opening weekend prices
- Info: LACountyFair.com
3. Gregg Young & The 2nd Street “C” Jazz Band
A live performance of jazz, blues, R&B, and more from some of L.A.’s top award-winning musical artists.
- When: Saturday, September 3; 6:00 PM-9:00 PM
- Where: The Dome Arclight Entertainment Center—6360 W. Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, 90028
- Cost: Free
- Info: GreggYoung.com
4. Labor Day Yacht Party
The Labor Day Yacht Party returns for its 9th year. Enjoy a four-hour cruise and BBQ aboard the FantaSea One Mega-Yacht. The boat features four levels of fun including a game deck, club deck, and sun deck.
- When: Monday, September 5; 2:00 PM (check-in), 3:00 PM (boarding), 4:00 PM (out to sea), 8:00 PM (return)
- Where: FantaSea One Mega-Yacht, Dock 52—13509 Fiji Way, Marina del Rey, 90292
- Cost: Ticket prices vary. Visit website for exact cost.
- Info: ListenDeepMusic.com
5. American Cinematheque Double Feature: E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial & Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The Aero Theatre presents a double feature movie this weekend. Enjoy sci-fi classics, E.T. and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
- When: Friday, September 2; 7:30 PM
- Where: Aero Theatre—1328 Montana Ave., Santa Monica, 90403
- Cost: $11.00 (general admission), $7 (Cinematheque members)
- Info: AmericanCinemathequeCalendar.com
6. 2011 Summer of Music on the Redondo Pier
Saturday is the last day of this summer music event presented by the Redondo Pier Association. Groove to live music from local SoCal bands.
- When: Saturday, September 3; 6:00 PM-8:00 PM
- Where: Redondo Pier—100 Fisherman’s Wharf, Redondo Beach, 90277
- Cost: Free
- Info: RedondoPier.com
7. The Taste
This Labor Day weekend let your mouth rejoice with four days of L.A.’s finest epicurean delights. The Taste is a series of nine events in three different locations and features delectable tastings from 40 of L.A.’s best restaurants.
- When: Friday-Monday, September 2-5; times vary based on event. Visit the website for more details.
- Where: Visit website for exact locations.
- Cost: $125-$150 depending on the event
- Info: Events.latimes.com/taste
Want to stay up-to-date on weekend events in Los Angeles? Click “Subscribe” at the top of the page to receive a notice every time a new “Weekend events” is published.