In the October 15, 2011 issue of Wine Spectator Magazine, Managing Editor, Kim Marcus, compiled an impressive list of “Value Wines” for his article Value Roundup. The 200 wines on the list are broken down into “Old World” and “New World”. Old World wines refer to those wines from European countries such as, Italy, France, Spain, and Portugal. New World wines refer to those wines made in the United States, South America, Australia, and New Zealand. Each category includes both red and white wines, with the reds easily outnumbering the whites.
To land a spot on this list, the wine had to to be one of the 5000 wines tasted in the past four months, it had to score a minimum of 88 on Wine Spectator’s 100 point scale, it had to cost $25 or less, and finally, the wine had to have been made in significant quantity to be readily available. The question is, where are they available?
Wine should be enjoyed, and should not be a source of frustration. Therefore, what follows is a list of the Wine Spectator top value wines (exact brand, vintage, region and vineyard if indicated), available right here, from four of the best Strongsville wine retailers, Costco, Giant Eagle, Heinen’s, and Royal Park Fine Wines.
Only two of the Old World wine values were found, and they were both at Royal Park Fine Wines. You will notice that both cost slightly more that the $25 limit set by Wine Spectator. The weak U.S. Dollar and Ohio’s minimum pricing may be impacting the pricing of these imports. Both wines are priced at the State minimum.
- Castello di Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva 2007, 92 points…$28.99
- Castello Banfi Rosso di Montalcino 2009, 89 points…$25.99
New World Reds:
- Trivento Amado Sur Red Mendoza 2009, 90 points…Royal Park $14.99 and Giant Eagle $15.99
- Chateau Ste.Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley Indian Wells 2009, 90 points…Heinen’s $24.99
- A to Z Wineworks Pinot Noir Oregon 2009, 90 points…Royal Park $14.99 and Heinen’s $19.99
- Seghesio Zinfandel Sonoma County 2009, 90 points…Costco and Royal Park $24.99
- Columbia Crest Amitage Grand Estates Columbia Valley 2008, 89 points…Giant Eagle $9.99 (save $3 with your Advantage Card)
- Greg Norman Estates Cabernet-Merlot Limestone Coast 2008, 89 points…Royal Park $15.99
- Bogle Petite Sirah California 2008, 88 points…Giant Eagle $14.99
- Kenwood Merlot Sonoma County 2008, 88 points…Giant Eagle $18.99
- Sausal Zinfandel Alexander Valley Family 50 Year Old Vines 2008, 88 points…Royal Park $19.99
New World Whites:
- Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc California 2010, 89 points…Giant Eagle and Royal Park $12.99
- Hogue Riesling Columbia Valley 2009, 88 points…Heinen’s and Giant Eagle $9.99
- Columbia Crest Chardonnay Columbia Valley Grand Estates 2009, 88 points…Royal Park $9.99
No more excuses, the leg-work has already been done for you. Now go out and enjoy some of the best value wines available locally.
To see your wine features and events here, contact Marty by email.