Ever meet a Xoloitzcuintli? How about a Sphynx without having to go to Egypt? This October, New Yorkers will get the opportunity to meet these rare dog and cat breeds face-to-face along with more than 200 other breeds of dogs and cats when the American Kennel Club (AKC) and The International Cat Association (TICA) host the fourth annual AKC Meet the Breeds event at the Javits Center October 20 & 21. Tickets are on sale now at www.MeetTheBreeds.com.
Sponsored by leading pet healthcare insurance provider, PetPartners, Inc., the American Kennel Club’s Meet the Breeds event is a unique in that it gives the public the opportunity to meet and interact with a huge variety of dog and cat breeds, including some which are very rare. Attendees can speak with experienced breeders and pet parents to get answers to questions about how these dogs and cats can be expected to act as family pets.
“Educating the public about the predictable qualities and needs of each breed is the major motivating factor for holding this event each year,” said AKC Meet the Breeds spokesperson Gina DiNardo. “Too many people acquire pets the same way they go on blind dates, with not a lot of information and a lot of foggy hopes. AKC Meet the Breeds allows individuals to literally ‘meet’ hundreds of dogs and cats in one afternoon to help them better learn which breed should become a lifelong member of their family.”
“At AKC Meet the Breeds New Yorkers can step into the jungle and play with a Bengal cat or pet a 200 pound Mastiff dog in a Medieval castle, and when you’re done meeting the breed, you can talk with experts about what owning that pet is really like,” said The International Cat Association (TICA) President Vickie Fisher.
In addition to meeting more than 200 dog and cat breeds, AKC Meet the Breeds will feature the following:
- Ongoing demonstrations will allow spectators to watch dogs and cats race against the clock in the fast-paced sport of agility, Frisbee Disc Dogs and reenactments of U.S. Customs and Border Protection searches.
- Kitty CAToure – Fashion week will never be the same after cats take center stage to show off the hottest trends by Meow-Wear fashion designer Carla Reiss.
- Top experts in every pet-related field including training, grooming, nutrition and first aid will be available to answer prospective pet parents’ questions and provide guidance for pet families.
- More than 100 vendors selling a wide variety of pet items, from practical to whimsical to downright indulgent.
- Fun activities for kids and pet-related giveaways at vendor booths.
Tickets are available now at www.MeetTheBreeds.com. Advance tickets are $15 adult/$10 kids.
See coverage of last year’s event and plan for this year’s event by viewing coverage from last year’s AKC Meet the Breeds at http://www.akc.org/meet_the_breeds/2011photos.html.
Tips for having a great time at Meet the Breeds
I was very surprised that it took me an entire day last year (2011) to visit just the dog booths at Meet the Breeds. It truly is a very large event, so plan accordingly if you are bringing small children with short attention spans. If you want to see the entire show in detail and take the time to speak with breeders, consider attending on both days and wear comfortable shoes!
Be considerate to the dogs and refrain from flash photography even if you are told it is “ok.” Dogs don’t enjoy it and they are at the event for two days. Another thing to consider is watching for signs of stress in the dogs you are visiting. Be kind and don’t insist upon petting stressed dogs even if you are told it is all right to do so. You can learn a lot about “reading” dogs by watching the accompanying video.
Follow AKC on Facebook and Twitter and TICA on Facebook and Twitter.
· What: AKC’s Meet the Breeds
· When: October 20th and 21st, 2012
· Where: Javits Center, New York City
· Time: 10am – 5pm
Tickets available here.
View more 2012 details.