This is the biggest week for Fall TV previews, and reality TV is no exception. Below are the Top 5 reality show premieres that you shouldn’t miss if you’re a fan of competition TV. At the top of the list are X Factor (new show) and Dancing with the Stars (returning show). Both promise a new season of excitement, drama, water cooler moments when their new seasons kick off this week.
- X Factor: It’s the most highly anticipated premiere of the season. In 2009, Simon Cowell announced that he was leaving ratings darling American Idol to launch X Factor in the US. Now, two years later, fans will finally be able to see if his big risk pays off in a big way. BFF’s Cowell and Paula Abdul will once again be reunited in their quest to find America’s next superstar. They’ll be joined by Nicole Scherzinger and L.A. Reid, however all eyes will be on Simon and Paula. The winner will be awarded with a whopping $5 million recording contract, the biggest prize of any reality competition show. The X Factor premieres this week on Wednesday and Thursday, September 21st and 22nd on FOX.
- Dancing with the Stars: Season 13 kicks off with one of its most intriguing casts ever. There are no true frontrunners, but David Arquette, Kristin Cavalleri, Ricky Lake and Hope Solo look to be strong contenders. With a jazzed up dance floor, Dancing with the Stars is ramped up for a brand new season of ratings success for ABC. Dancing with the Stars premieres Monday and Tuesday, September 18th and 19th on ABC.
- The Amazing Race: This long-running reality competition show just reclaimed its Emmy last night – for good reason. For season 19, the teams will make first time visits to the beautiful locations of Indonesia, Malawi, Belgium and Denmark. In fact, The Amazing Race will cover nearly 40,000 miles as it travels through four continents and 20 cities. Interesting teams include past Survivor winners Ethan Zohn (who recently overcame cancer) and his partner Jenna Morasca, twins, and a pair of Las Vegas show girls. Season 19 of The Amazing Race premieres on Sunday, September 25th at 8/7c on CBS.
- The Biggest Loser: Season twelve premieres this week with two new trainers, Anna Kournikova and Dolvett Quince, who join Bob Harper. For the first time in the history of The Biggest Loser, the competitors will compete in a “Battle of the Ages” that will group contestants by age. Three teams will each have five players and include the younger players (under 30), the middle players (30-49), and the older players (50 and over). The winning team in the first challenge will get to pick their trainer. This year’s contestants include a former NFL player, a police officer, a registered nurse and a grandmother who lost her home in Hurricane Katrina. The Biggest Loser premieres on Tuesday, September 20th at 8/7c on NBC.
- The Sing-Off: Nick Lachey returns for a third season of a cappella competition. NOTA was the winner of season one and Committed took the title in the second season. Due to her new gig on X Factor, Nicole Scherzinger is being replaced by Sara Bareilles, who will join Ben Folds and Shawn Stockman on the judging panel. Sixteen new groups will take the stage when The Sing-Off premieres on Monday, September 19th at 8/7c on NBC.
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on subscribe, and you’ll stay up-to-the-minute with your favorite TV stars and shows.