With young Americans expected to spend $211 billion in 2012, knowing which brands they favor will help corporate America prepare for the upcoming holiday season. A key strategic planning tool at their disposal is the 2012 Harris Poll Youth EquiTrend® study, by Harris Interactive. This annual study benchmarks the brands that America’s youth prefer and those that have the ability to dominate their industries’ youth market share.
The 2012 Harris Poll Youth EquiTrend study measures brand equity as an outcome of familiarity, quality, and purchase consideration among Americans, ages eight to 24.
“Youth of today have spending power and they also have loyalty to brands. Some of this comes from their parents, but they also make their own decisions,” said Regina A. Corso, Senior Vice President for Youth and Education Research at Harris Interactive. “Brands who tap into this loyalty when a consumer is a tween, and nurture it through the teen years, will have an extremely loyal customer by the time the customer is a young adult. Companies need to remember that consumers do not magically appear at age 18.”
In this critical sales ramp-up for the holiday gift-giving season, when technology prevails and computers, tablets, and mobile phones are at the top of wish lists, Apple brands are ranked highest among Americans, ages 13-24, in their respective categories. Apple Computers, iPads, and iPhones are the highest ranked Computers, Tablets, and Mobile Phones brands, and are followed by Hewlett Packard, Motorola Xoom, and HTC, correspondingly.
Jeni Lee Chapman, Executive Vice President of Harris’ Brand and Communication Consulting practice shares, “This is very good news for Apple and indicates that their masterbrand is very strong. To have this kind of significant edge among 13-24 year olds signifies that Apple has built a powerful equity base among their customers of today and their customers of tomorrow.” She continues, “Brands often struggle to maintain relevancy among different generations. This data shows that this is not going to be an issue for Apple.”
And, while eight to 24 year olds have varied interests, certain comfort foods, like cookies and candy, are timeless. For example: Oreo Cookies and Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Candy Bars are each highest ranked in their respective categories, and sweet treat and cookie brands receive some of the highest equity scores among those surveyed.
Food & Beverage
- Sweet Treats: Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Candy Bars is the highest ranked brand, followed by Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and Hershey’s Kisses.
- Cereals: Cheerios is the highest ranked brand, followed by Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes and Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
- Cookies: Oreo Cookies is the highest ranked brand, followed by three Chips Ahoy cookies brands – Chips Ahoy, Chewy Chips Ahoy and Chunky Chips Ahoy.
- Sodas: Sprite is the highest ranked brand, followed by Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola.
- Fruit Juices: Minute Maid is the highest ranked brand, followed by Tropicana and Florida’s Natural Refrigerated Orange Juice.
- Fruit Flavored Drinks: Capri Sun is the highest ranked brand, followed by KoolAid.
- Broadcast TV Networks: ABC is the highest ranked brand, followed by Fox Television Network and CBS.
- Kids TV Programming: Nickelodeon is the highest ranked brand, followed by Disney Channel and Cartoon Network.
- Social Media: YouTube.com is the highest ranked brand, followed by Facebook.com.
Gaming, Technology, & Telecom
- Computers: Apple Computers is the highest ranked brand, followed by Hewlett-Packard Computers and Sony Computers
- Computer Tablets: iPad is the highest ranked brand, followed by Motorola Xoom and BlackBerry PlayBook
- Mobile Phones: iPhone is the highest ranked brand, followed by HTC Phones and Samsung Phones
- Gaming Platforms: Nintendo Wii is the highest ranked brand, followed by Sony Playstation 3 and Nintendo DS.
HARRIS POLL YOUTH EQUITREND® BRANDS OF THE YEAR
Brand of the Year
Food & Beverage
Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Candy Bars
Sodas (among 13-24 year olds)
Fruit Flavored Drinks (among 8-18 year olds)
Minute Maid Juices
Broadcast TV Networks
Kids TV Programming (among 8-12 year olds)
Social Media (among 13-24 year olds)
Gaming, Technology, & Telecom
Computers (among 13-24 year olds)
Computer Tablets (among 13-24 year olds)
Mobile Phones (among 13-24 year olds)
* Unless otherwise indicated, brands were rated among all youth, 8-24 years old.
Business Strategies: Surveys, trends and what companies do to increase business
- Survey reveals high contamination levels in everyday products
- City with the highest number of Ultra High Net Worth people is…
- Not just an app but a Special Ops. app for military iphone 4S
- Did you help grow your company’s brand today?